This page provides information about the types of licence rights available for Getty Images products and the licence agreements pertaining to those products and rights.
"Comping" & Preview Use
Getty Images permits certain electronic files of its products to be used free of charge (or in some cases for a minimal fee) for a limited duration, if they are used only for personal, noncommercial use and solely for test or sample purposes. These rights are governed by the Comping File and Video Preview Licence Agreement. Comping files may be used to take a closer look at a particular image or to create materials for proofing presentations to clients. Comping files are not licensed for use in final projects, whether for internal or external use.
Last updated: November 2011
Getty Images Comping File and Video Preview Licence Agreement
THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU ("LICENSEE") AND A SUBSIDIARY OF GETTY IMAGES, INC. ("GETTY IMAGES"). THIS AGREEMENT APPLIES TO LICENCES ISSUED VIA THE WEB AND VIA LOCAL SALES REPRESENTATIVES, AND IS APPLICABLE TO ONLINE, DIGITAL AND ANALOGUE (PHYSICAL) DELIVERY OF LICENSED MATERIAL (THE "AGREEMENT").
1. Grant of Licence. Getty Images grants to you, for a period of thirty (30) days, a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable and non-assignable right to use the image and/or film preview file you have selected and any derivatives or copies (collectively, the "Licensed Material"), on your personal computer and, in the case of film, in any test, sample, comp or rough cut evaluation materials. The Licensed Material may only be used in materials for personal, noncommercial use and test or sample use, including comps and layouts.
2.1 The Licensed Material may not be used in any final materials distributed inside of your company or any materials distributed outside of your company or to the public, including, but not limited to, advertising and marketing materials or in any online or other electronic distribution system (except that you may transmit comps digitally or electronically to your clients for their review) and may not be distributed, sublicensed or made available for use or distribution separately or individually and no rights may be granted to the Licensed Material.
2.2 One copy of the Licensed Material may be made for backup purposes only but may only be used if the original Licensed Material becomes defective, destroyed or otherwise irretrievably lost. Except as specifically provided in this Agreement, the Licensed Material may not be shared or copied for example by including it in a disc library, image storage jukebox, network configuration or other similar arrangement. Use which would be defamatory, pornographic or otherwise unlawful is prohibited. If Licensed Material featuring a person is used (i) in a manner that implies endorsement, use of or a connection to a product or service by that model; or (ii) in connection with a potentially unflattering or controversial subject, you must print a statement that indicates that the person is a model and is used for illustrative purposes only.
3. Rights-Managed Still Fee. For rights-managed still Licensed Material only, if at the end of 30 days you have not licensed the Licensed Material for end use in a final project, you will be invoiced a comp service fee in the amount of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) USD or such other local currency amount as Getty Images may apply from time to time. If, at any time within the 30-day comp licence period, you license such rights-managed still Licensed Material for end use in a final project and do not subsequently cancel the licence, the comp service fee will not be charged. Payment of the comp service fee relates solely to comping use during the 30-day comp licence period and does not entitle you to make any additional use of the Licensed Material either before or after expiry of the 30 days.
4. Film Access Fee. Upon download of any film Licensed Material, you will be invoiced a non-refundable access service fee of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) USD or such other local currency amount as Getty Images may apply from time to time.
5. Additional Rights Available. If you are unsure of your usage rights under this Agreement or wish to use the Licensed Material in a manner not permitted by this Agreement (for example: online or as part of an advertisement or product), please contact your local Getty Images office.
6. Warranty. Getty Images warrants the digital copy of the Licensed Material in the form downloaded by you to be free from defects in material and workmanship for 30 days from delivery. The sole and exclusive remedy for a breach of the foregoing warranty is the replacement of the digital copy of the Licensed Material. GETTY IMAGES MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Some states or jurisdictions do not permit the exclusion of implied warranties, and you may have other rights which may vary from state to state and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. NEITHER GETTY IMAGES NOR ANY OF ITS IMAGE PARTNERS SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENCE OR OTHERWISE.
7. General. All rights to the Licensed Material are owned by Getty Images and/or its image partners and are protected by United States copyright laws, international treaty provisions and other applicable laws. Getty Images and its image partners retain all rights not expressly granted by this Agreement. The licence contained in this Agreement will terminate automatically without notice from Getty Images upon expiry of the 30-day comp licence period or, if sooner, upon you failing to comply with any provision of this Agreement. Upon termination, you must immediately stop using the Licensed Material and either destroy any digital Licensed Material or return the Licensed Material and all copies to Getty Images.
© 2012 Getty Images, Inc. All rights reserved.